SportMalta and BOV have teamed up to finance and introduce this new scheme which shall be a revamp of the previous Youth Development Scheme. The revamp is intended to ensure the maximization of benefits from funds available for the development of young elite athletes who have not yet attained 18 years of age. The Youth Development Scheme supported by BOV and SportMalta shall focus on a maximum of twenty (20) athletes who shall be chosen according to their merits connected to their performance in their sport.
The scheme shall cover:
- Athlete expenses for flights / sea travelling,
- Athlete event participation fees and
- Athlete accommodation.
The scheme is only applicable to individual athletes with forthcoming fully approved international sport commitments, in their personal capacity, at the top national youth level and/or with great promise in their sport and with a great possibility of representing Malta in fully approved international commitments in the near future.
The scheme shall be operational on a yearly basis (from January to December) and therefore, applications will not be received mid-year. Applications shall only be accepted when a letter circular is issued by SPORTMALTA to National Sports Organisations. The capping for this scheme shall be that of twenty thousand Euro (€20,000) per annum with a maximum capping of one thousand Euro (€1,000) per athlete per annum.
Procedure, Period of Coverage
- The application shall be submitted by national young athletes / young athletes with national potential (under 18) directly to SPORTMALTA. The application shall have detail including an annual training schedule of the athlete and the upcoming international participation events for one year and the legal guardian’s endorsement. All other documentation required in these terms and conditions and the application form itself, shall also be submitted.
- SPORTMALTA shall assess all the applications received and the applicants shall be asked to sit for an interview.
- The National Sports Organisation shall be asked for its recommendations in relation to the applicant’s performance and potential and the said recommendations shall be taken into consideration by SPORTMALTA.
- SPORTMALTA shall rank the athletes in accordance with the interview results and decide on which of the international events submitted for funding by the applicant to approve as it deems appropriate.
- The rankings of the interviews shall be published on SPORTMALTA website.
- Once the rankings are published, the approved athletes’ legal guardians shall be required to sign an agreement and the athlete shall be present for the presentation of the grant. Failure to sign the aforementioned agreement or absence from the presentation shall result in the forfeiture of the grant. The agreement must reach SPORTMALTA within 30 days from the presentation of the grant and failure to do so, may result in the forfeiture of the grant.
- Once the athlete is successful with his application, the NSO responsible for the sport practiced by the successful applicant shall be expected to provide SPORTMALTA with:
- full profile of the athlete;
- a medical and blood test result;
- confirmation that the athlete has been selected for the national selection in preparation for events which are organised, approved or recognised by the respective official International Sports Organisation as per SPORTMALTA approved list (where applicable);
- List of proposed international events/training for the calendar year.
- Once the athlete is accepted to form part and has commenced making use of the Scheme, SPORTMALTA, shall have the right to:
- to request, and be immediately provided with, medical/fitness tests to certify that the athlete is of an acceptable level of fitness appropriate for his/her sport and
- to request, and be immediately provided with, any other information (on the athlete and relating to the Scheme) deemed relevant.
- SPORTMALTA may furthermore, monitor the athlete’s training and require regular meetings with the athlete and coach.
- The NSO representing the sport which the athlete practices shall be:
- registered with SPORTMALTA and have all documentation up to date;
- affiliated to or recognised by the respective International Sport Organization.
- If the application request for the Scheme is accepted, the NSO has to sign an undertaking, with SPORTMALTA, that it will:
- Provide SPORTMALTA with any changes in the calendar of international events relating to the athlete, which changes shall be approved or otherwise by SportMalta as it deems appropriate;
- details of the coaches involved in the training/preparation of the athlete for the international events;
- detailed report of participation in local competitions and results attained by the athlete on a monthly basis;
- be fully and totally responsible for the fitness level and medical condition of the athlete all throughout the Scheme;
- be fully and totally responsible for the total actuation and supervision of the training programme in order to achieve the best result possible in international participation within the Scheme;
- immediately inform SPORTMALTA should the athlete be dropped from the national selection plans;
- inform SPORTMALTA should the athlete face any injury and/or illness which may have adverse effects on competitions in the event calendar;
- acknowledge the fact that the athlete is sponsored by the government and BOV through the Scheme;
- acknowledge SPORTMALTA as the NSO’s partner and will include the latest SPORTMALTA logo in all its communication material.
- The athlete shall undertake to:
- abide with the Code of Sport Ethics
- make no use of illegal substances and/or performance enhancing drugs and/or other doping methods;
- undertake any doping tests and update the ADAMS system thereby keeping NADO informed of his/her whereabouts (and submit other information, which includes but is not limited to details on the athlete residence, training venues and times, competition schedule, holiday arrangements etc. as well as a 60-minute time slot between 6am and 11pm where they can be located for testing) as required by NADO (where applicable);
- immediately provide a contact telephone number for quick and easy contact if the need arises;
- be available, at all times, to be used by SPORTMALTA and/or the government for sport promotion purposes and BOV marketing campaign;
- wear SPORTMALTA / BOV Scheme uniform for activities, when so requested by SPORTMALTA,
- print the SPORTMALTA / BOV Scheme logo on kits when participating abroad, when possible;
- inform SPORTMALTA in cases of injury;
- inform SPORTMALTA if dropped from the national selection;
- inform SPORTMALTA when not reporting for training;
- inform SPORTMALTA when not fit for training.
- Instances where the athlete is found guilty of:
- Illegal doping;
- Lack of respect towards SportMalta or BOV;
- Any flagrant action and be suspended indefinitely in his sport capacity;
- Any other action deemed to be serious in nature by SPORTMALTA,
shall lead to an immediate termination of the scheme agreement.
- Further to the above paragraph, if in default, through a doping offence / the use of illicit substances and/or drugs, the athlete has to reimburse the government of Malta and BOV for all allocated amounts provided to the athlete, when so charged. The amounts shall be returned to the athlete if s/he is found to be innocent.
- The athletes shall attend any seminars organized by SportMalta and BOV for the purpose of this Scheme and any events organized by SporMalta as it deems necessary.
- Furthermore, all athletes shall be available to be used as testimonials for BOV and SportMalta marketing campaigns.
- All funds shall be provided to the athlete upon presentation of proper documentation and receipts together with a full report of the activity and the results attained by the athlete.