Sunday 9th October 2016 —— Michael Pace was announced as winner of the Malta Classic Grand Prix by Chopard tonight at an awards gala reception at the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa. Drew Campbell-Smith from Chopard and Malcolm Lowell from Edwards Lowell presented Pace with a Chopard Mille Miglia Chronograph. Hon. Chris Agius, Parliamentary Secretary for Research, Innovation, Youth and Sport also presented Pace with a custom designed and crafted trophy from Mdina Glass. Pace is the driver of a 1975 Honda Civic.
During this awards gala—attended by over 60 local and foreign drivers as well as a contingent of foreign press from motorsport and travel publications—Chairman of the Malta Tourism Authority Dr. Gavin Gulia presented a trophy to the Saturday Overall (Standard Cars Category) winner Zac Matten, driver of a 1974 Datsun 260 Z.
Other winners from the Malta Classic Grand Prix by Chopard were awarded trophies by Valletta Grand Prix Foundation Chairman Mr. Joseph Zammit Tabona. These included:
Saturday Group Winners
- A3 Standard Cars: 1st – Roberto Gauci (1975 Mini Clubman GT), 2nd – Dion Borg (1974 Fiat X-19), 3rd – Michel Zarb (1973 Lancia Fulvia)
- A4 Standard Cars: Marco Cernicchi (1960 Porsche 356 B)
- A5 Standard Cars: 1st – Gordon Vella (Porsche 911 Targa), 2nd – Paul Sapienza (1975 BMW 2002Tii), 3rd – Peter Hansen (1970 MG B)
- A8 Standard Cars: 1st – Zak Matten (1974 Datsun 260 Z), 2nd – Ivan Farrugia (1975 Mercedes SLC 450)
- D3 Modified Cars: 1st – Michael Pace (1975 Honda Civic), 2nd – Lucas Pace (Honda Civic), 3rd – Nicholas Mallia (1968 Triumph Spitfire)
- D4 Modified Cars: 1st – Joseph Mifsud (1969 Hillman Imp), 2nd – Adrian Muscat Azzopardi (1973 Austin Mini), 3rd – Pierre Tanti (1975 Austin Mini)
- D5 Modified Cars: 1st – Clifford Debono (1970 Vitesse Triumph), 2nd – Ray Vella (1970 MG B), 3rd – Hubert Camilleri (1969 Porsche 911S)
- E Guest Cars: 1st – Mick Hay (1972 Reynard Fury), 2nd – Ian Osborne (1954 Austin Healy 100 BN1)
- Pre-War Cars: 1st – Joseph Huber (1934 Riley TT Sprite), 2nd – Steve Clark (1934 Triumph Southern Cross), 3rd – Joe Gerada (1960 Triumph TR3 A)
- C Reproduction and Replica Cars: 1st – George Said (1975 Jaguar D-Type Revival)
Sunday Race Winners
- Group 1: Michael Pace (1975 Honda Civic)
- Group 2: Pat Thomas (1968 Lotus Elan)
- Group 3: Renato Agius (1976 Fiat 127 Abarth)
- Group 4: Guy Broad (1969 MG GT)
- Group 5: Joseph Said (1959 Jaguar Proteus E-Type)
- Group 6: Pamela Said (1968 MG B)
- Group 7: Mick Hay (1972 Reynard Fury)
- Pre-War (1934 Joseph Huber, Riley TT Sprite)
The Malta Classic is sponsored by Malta’s leading luxury and lifestyle brands, including Chopard, Mdina Glass, Thomas Smith, Shell, BMW, Sullivan Maritime, Farsons, Attard & Co., The Point, Pjazza Tigne, Good Earth, Busy Bee, Airswift Couriers, Atrium, Farsons, Halmann Vella, Assikura Insurance, The Atrium, Motul, Velocity, Mirachem, Sphinx, Billboard Advertising and Karl Borg Events. This event is also made possible by the support of Sport Malta, the Malta Tourism Authority, Mdina Local Council, Rabat Local Council, Mtarfa Local Council, Mellieha Local Council and Transport Malta.